Tuesday, 01 February 2011
Cool Runnings. Damn. What an amazing movie! I don't know a single person that even remotely dislikes this Disney film. This posting is an homage to this world renowned motion picture because tonight, it's bobsled time.
Some awesome parts:
- When they got into that barfight with the Austrian team: How funny was that? Sanka was flyin through the air at one point and Yul Brenner was kickin some European ass. I always wondered if Olympians went to bars like that and had awkward, uncomfortable mixers. Wasn't that like a country-western bar deep into Canada?
- When Yul gave Junior the legendary pump up: "I see pride, I see powahh, I see a badass mudda who don't take, no crap, off-a nobody!" TO THIS DAY whenever I share a mirror with someone I am obligated to say that. I hope someone has a tattoo of that somewhere. How inspirational! Why hasn't a rapper remixed that shit yet? Like, "I see pride (bass drops) I see powa powa powa powa."
- The unforgettable slow clap as they walked to the finish line: The slow clap begins and it spreads like wildfire, the battered Jamaicans walk the line and are met with nothing but admiration. Even the Austrian prick from earlier gets in on it, even the rival coach to John Candy gets in on it, EVEN Junior's dad gets in on it! He also bought a T-shirt and displayed it proudly. Even as a child I knew how heartfelt this scene was, I wish an image of them holding the sled was on one of those motivational posters.
- When Yul Brenner realizes his dream home was Buckingham Place: Damn, shot down son. He thought the postcard was a house he could move to, when in reality it was in London and meant for royalty. Ouch Yule, that was some rough shit. In restrospect he should have moved on a lot quicker than he did. Like, c'mon dude, get over it you're an Olympian.
- Sanka and all his crazy shit: Remember when he was locked in the ice cream truck and his dreadlock froze off? How about when he took over the kissing booth and was met by an old hag? What about his catchy song, "Some people say ya know ya can't believe, Jamaica we have a bobsled team!"
Thank you Cool Runnings for letting the youth of America know that a place called Jamaica existed. Thank you for making all of us want a Jamaican flag. Thank you for making us ask our parents if we could take, "bobsledding lessons." Thank you for being so solidly awesome. Thank you for instilling the values of: Motivation, Inspiration, Determination, Persistence, Honor, Courage, Friendship, and Sportsmanship.
What parts did I forget? How much do you love this masterpiece?