Sunday, 15 August 2010
Today people, I am claiming as an appreciation day for good literature. And by good literature I mean my personal favorite wordsmith; because who gives a shit about anyone else right? Thought so.
Now that we're on the same page and assuming you actually read books and are not just on this site to masturbate to side boob and argue; I'm going to introduce you to the man, the myth, the legend Charles (hank) Bukowski. If you already know his works then good for you. I'm throwing you a mental fist bump (or butt smack) as I pen this. Now for the rest of you here's some of my favorite quotes and assorted works to get you wet. You'll have to Google or even crazier, actually buy a book to reach climax.
- "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
- "For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
- "That's the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen."
- "What matters most is how well you walk through the fire"
- "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way."
- "If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose"
- "Sex is kicking death in the ass while singing."
- "I loved you like a man loves a woman he never touches, only writes to, keeps little photographs of."
- "Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you're allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It's like killing yourself, and then you're reborn. I guess I've lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now."
- "There is always one woman to save you from another and as that woman saves you she makes ready to destroy"
- - Women
- - Factotum
- - Ham On Rye
- - Sifting Through The Madness, For The Word, The Line, The Way...
- - War All The Time
- - Love Is A Dog From Hell
- - You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense
- - People Look Like Flowers At Last
These are just a few examples of his complete and utter drunken brilliance. Give him a try. It might change your life, or at least your sleeping habits. And if you are booing this entire post, then I'm sure there are some twilight or coloring books you can read instead. Enjoy.
What do you think of Bukowski?